Denver Domestic Violence Defense Lawyers
An allegation of domestic violence can pose a threat to your career, personal life, and the custody of your children. If you stand accused of a domestic violence offense in Denver, the criminal defense attorneys at Varner Faddis Elite Legal, LLC can help – contact us to schedule a free initial consultation. Our experience and attention to detail set us apart from other criminal defense law firms in the area.
- We are a results-oriented firm that focuses all of our attention on you, the client. We give each case the care and personal attention it deserves. To us, you are a person with a unique story to tell, and you can trust that we will do your story justice.
- We maintain an open line of communication with all of our clients, answering all phone calls, emails, and text messages and addressing any questions or concerns you may have. From the very first consultation, we make sure to comprehensively explain all aspects of the case to the client. We understand that domestic violence cases can be emotionally charged and are typically influenced by the history of one’s relationship. We’re here to listen.
- When something bad happens and you need a lawyer, it can be a scary and unfamiliar situation. We recognize how traumatic these situations can be, and we’re here to handle the stress and navigate the legal landscape so you can focus on other aspects of your life. We believe it’s imperative to get to know you as a person because that’s the only way to effectively and honestly tell your story to a jury.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Unlike a civil case, any person facing a criminal charge has a constitutional right to an attorney in most cases. Domestic violence charges can carry serious criminal penalties as well a life-long stigma and ramifications in one’s personal and professional life. A person facing domestic violence charges in Denver requires an experienced defense lawyer that can effectively protect their rights and mount a robust defense.
Domestic Violence Laws in Colorado
Colorado law addresses domestic violence in C.R.S. 18-6-800.3, among other statutes. If someone commits a crime of domestic violence, such as a physical assault of a domestic partner, the following punitive measures may apply:
- The accused may have to complete a Domestic Violence Treatment program.
- The courts may impose a term of prison, jail, or house arrest.
- Any prior domestic violence convictions may cause a person to face Class 5 felony charges as a habitual domestic violence offender, which carries the potential for prison time.
Misdemeanor and felony charges of domestic violence will affect the defendant’s ability to purchase and possess firearms.
- The additional penalties will depend on the type of offense that occurs – for example, felony assault will carry different punishments than harassment.
- A defendant may lose physical custody of any minor children.
Preparing Your Domestic Violence Defense
Unfortunately, many defendants facing domestic violence charges do not understand the full implications a conviction can have. Even misdemeanor offenses can affect a person’s ability to get a job, obtain housing, volunteer for a child’s extracurricular and school-sponsored activities, and more. It’s important for those facing domestic violence convictions to understand the nature of these charges and secure quality legal representation. Even so-called “minor” charges can carry lifelong consequences. You need a criminal defense attorney who can navigate the confusing legal framework, investigate the history of the relationship and any mitigating factors, and effectively assert any applicable defenses.
Contact Us Today – We Can Help
If you are currently facing charges related to domestic violence in Denver, Colorado, you need the help of a defense attorney. The lawyers at Varner Faddis Elite Legal, LLC give clients the help they need and assure a fair trial for the charges against them. To schedule a free strategic review of your options pertaining to your domestic violence case, contact us today.
6025 South Quebec St.
Centennial, CO 80111